June 12, will continue to be a memorable date in the political life of the Nigerian Nation.
This is, apparently, because, one man who, Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola, made a sacrifice the who nation will not forget in a hurry.
MKO Abiola, is a Nigerian politician, publisher, and aristocrat of the Yoruba Egba clan, he was the Aare Ona Kankafo of the Yoruba land. MKO Abiola ran for the presidency in 1993, for which the election results were annulled by the preceding military president Ibrahim Babangida because of allegations that they were corrupt and unfair.
A year after the election which has been described as the freest and fairest was annulled; Abiola gave a powerful speech condemning the continued presence of General Sani Abacha as head of state and declared himself as the rightfully elected president.
Here are some unforgettable quote by the late hero of Democracy in Nigeria
- Accept what God has given you and make the best use of it
- If you go borrowing, you will go a sorrowing
- It should not take the extreme measure of killing a newborn child just because the midwife is a bad woman.
- No one can give you power. It is yours. Take it
- Our youths, in particular, can see no hope on the horizon, and many can only dream of escaping from our shores to join the brain drain.”
- We are plagued also by periodic balance of payments crises, which have led to a perennial shortage of essential drugs that has turned our hospitals and clinics into mortuaries.”
- From this day, show to the world that anyone who takes the people of Nigeria for fools is deceiving himself and will have the people to answer to.
- People of Nigeria, our time is now. You are the repository of power in the land.
- There is no humiliation I have not endured, no snare that has not been put in my path, no “setup” that has not been designed for me in my endeavour to use the path of peace to enforce the mandate that you bestowed on me.
- You cannot shave the head in the absence of the owner
- A scarcity of books and equipment has rendered our schools into desolate deserts of ignorance
- We are sickened to see people who have shown little or no personal achievement, either in building up private businesses, or making success of any tangible thing, being placed in charge of the management of our nation’s economy, by rulers who are not accountable to anyone.
- We are plagued also by periodic balance of payments crises, which have led to a perennial shortage of essential drugs that has turned our hospitals and clinics into mortuaries
- If you want something from a dwarf, stoop low to his level. It does not reduce your own height. Whenever you rise up, you will be taller than him.
- Being short does not prevent a person from seeing the sky.
- Enough of square pegs in round holes… Enough is enough