“Lion King” remake, directed by Jon Favreau, the director of “Jungle Book”, is one of the most anticipated movies of 2019. Since the remake of the 2019 classic was announced, the movie has been on the minds and lips of movie lovers.
Since the release of the movie on the 19th of July, 2019, box office records have been smashed. The film recently made $1billion within three weeks of its release.
The is a photorealistic computer-animated remake of Disney’s traditionally animated 1994 film of the same name joins the likes of ‘Avengers: Endgame’, ‘Captain Marvel’ and ‘Aladdin’ as the fourth Disney title to surpass $1 billion in global ticket sales in 2019.
The film which has currently grossed a total of 1.2 billion was written by Jeff Nathanson, stars the voices of Donald Glover, Seth Rogen, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Alfre Woodard, John Oliver, and Beyoncé Knowles-Carter, as well as James Earl Jones who starred in the original movie.
Watch the trailer here:
Here are Ten Fact You Need To Know About Lion King Remake.
- Inspired by the success of Jungle book, also directed by Jon Favreau, the decision to remake “Lion King” was announced on September 2016. Filming prepare started Mid-2017 on a blue screen stage in Los Angeles. The Visual Effect of the film was carried out by the same studio that ensured the making of The Jungle Book.
- The animation film, was recently announced as the second highest-grossing movie of 2019 behind “Avenger; Endgame”, as it made $1billion within three weeks. The movie is recorded as the third highest-grossing animated film and the 19th highest-grossing film of all-time.
- The film is the most expensive film ever made. An estimated $260 million, was expanded on the making of the film.
- The composer of the soundtrack for 1994, “Lion King” Hans Zimmer was reinvited alongside Pharrell Williams, to remake the soundtrack. John Elton and Tim Rice, who were also responsible for the soundtrack of the 1994 version of the movie were also invited to rework their composition. They succeeded in writing a new song for the film’s end credits, titled “Never Too Late”, performed by John.
- The lead soundtrack for the film, “Spirit” was written and performed by Beyonce and was released on July 9, 2019. Beyoncé also produced and curated an album titled The Lion King: The Gift, which features “Spirit”, as well as songs inspired by the film. The album was released on July 19, 2019.
- Favreau’s top choice for the role of Nala was Beyonce. The director and studio would be willing to do whatever it took to accommodate her busy schedule.
- The first trailer of the Lion King released in November 2018, was view 224.6 million times in its first 24 hours, becoming the then 2nd most viewed trailer in that time period. The second trailer released on April 10, 2019, was watched 174 million times in its first 24 hours.
- The Premiere of the film in the United States took place on July 9, 2019. It was released domestically in China on July 12.
- On the difference between the plot of the 1994 version and the remake, the director of the remake revealed that even though some iconic scenes were not changed, some major changes were made on the original film, in the storyline and structures of the scenes. The remake is 30 minutes longer than the original.
- The film has not been too favoured by critics, who abhor the film’s lack of originality and failure of the film to capture the facial emotion of the film. According to review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 53% based on 367 reviews. Some critics criticized the film for being a bastardization of the original blockbuster of the 1994 original.
Director Jon Favreau speaks about making of the film. Watch;
Have you seen the film? If you have, please tell us what you think about the film in the comment section.