Today is World Blood Donor Day. The implication of this day cannot be over-emphasised. The reality remains that blood donation not only impacts the life and health of those in need of the blood donated, it also affects positively the health of the blood donor.
It has been established that less than 10 per cent of blood donations in Nigeria are from voluntary donors. This implies that Nigerians rely on paid blood donors and Family replacement for their blood transfusion needs.
The reality of Blood donation is painful. In developed nations, people are not begged to donate blood, they do it because they see it as a noble act. They also understand the implication of blood donation.
It is has been revealed that men have between 5.5 – 6 litres of blood and they can donate blood 4 times a year. while women, with 4.5 -5.0 litres, can three times a week.
These are the benefit of Donating Blood
- It reduces the possibility of cancer: Blood donation has been proven to help reduce the incidence of the likelihood of cancer and cancerous growth in the bodies of donors. It helps to balance the Iron level in the blood and by so doing reduces the risk of Heart, Lever and Lungs related cancer.
- It help Maintains good Health: The fact that you donate some few litres of blood every year help your body to produce more blood. By so doing, new blood cells are produced to enhance your health.
- It Helps Lose Weight: People battle to lose weight are always advised to donate blood regularly. It also helps you get rid of up to 650 calories.
- It Helps Deal With Premature Age: If you think you are ageing faster than your age. It will do you good to adopt blood donating routine.
- Speeds up healing process: The body tries to adjust to the loss of red blood the cells we donate blood, these adjustments also help in accelerating the wound healing process.
- Lengthen Your Live Span: Regular Blood Donation helps you live longer Blood donation is altruistic works so it not only save lives of others but also helps you live longer and healthier.
- It Might Save Your Life: The fact that the blood you donate might be used to save your own life or the lives of your loved one is enough reason why you should donate blood. You might be in a situation when you will be the person, or the person close to you might be in need of the blood you donated. So ensure you donate blood to save your own life.
- Save lives: Every time we donate one pint of blood it helps save three lives, so if we donate four times in a year we end up saving 12 lives. We don’t have to be a superhero to save someone, a simple act of donating blood can also save lives.
- You Fill Good About Yourself: Donating blood regularly make you feel like a superhero. You usually feel good about yourself. The fulfilment you get from indirectly saving people’s lives gives you a psychological upliftment.
- Free Medical Check-up: One benefit of blood donation that we take for granted is the free medical check-up you get during the process. Body temperature is checked along with blood pressure, hemoglobin and pulse. Blood is tested for 13 infectious disease like HIV, West Nile Virus, hepatitis B and C and Syphilis. It gives you a cost-free quick look into your health.