Five things NYSC Corp members fail to do during their Service year.
There is no doubt that National Youth Service Corp, is a shield for Nigerian young Graduate from the harsh realities of unemployment and the economic uncertainty. This national program, which was established to foster unity and patriotism among Nigerian youth, have more advantages than its disadvantages.
While it is true that Nigeria has issues with a high rate of unemployment in the land, one other factor that militates against job availability is unpreparedness of young people for the job. I personally believe that the NYSC service year affords young graduate the opportunity to discover themselves and understand the values they can create in the different facet of their economic development.
One obvious advantage of the program is that it gives Nigerian Graduates a recess and opportunity to gather the skills, the courage, and empowerment to face the hurdles and reality of Nigeria labour market. However most Corp members end up failing to do some certain things that would make their search for bliss and fulfillment after NYSC; This, they regret after they leaving the service. Most ex-Corp members fail to do the following.
- They fail to acquire Skills:
Vocational and work skills are obviously of immense benefit but are also needed a leverage in the real world of uncertainty. Vocational skills, such as hairdressing, photography, tailoring etc., can keep ex-Corp member going until he or she get some better Job opportunity, or in fact, through this skill, a small venture can be initiated. However, Corp member are carried away by frivolities, thereby leaving the service with regret.
- Acquisition of Professional Certificate: professional Certificates are important, in that they add value to your resume. But Corp members fail to understand the important professional Certificate in management, Project Management, customer relation and the rest. Procrastination most time, debar corp members from seeking and getting necessary certification needed to get their dream jobs
- Fail To Prepare Mentally for The Labour Market: Getting a job does not only depend on the certificate you have or the skill exhibit. There is also mental work that needs to be done. Its important you build your confidence, self-esteem, and psychological formidability ahead of your job hunt.
- They fail to save for the raining day: Most Corp member eat with all their fingers, they spend all they earn without the thought of saving for life after service. Your savings while serving can go a long way to sustain you till you get a job.
- They fail to build relations: relationship building is one important things Corp member have taken for granted. Members meet a lot of people during service, the relationship we build with this people can change our lives.